Tuesday, June 30, 2015

FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992) Review

          FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992) is an animated movie that tells the story of a fairy forest being in danger when a few loggers cut down many of the trees. In the midst, a fairy named Crysta (voiced by Samantha Mathis) accidentally shrinks one of the loggers named Zak (voiced by Jonathan Ward) down to her small size. Together they must try to help rally the fairies and animals to protect the rainforest before it's too late. Oh, and this also features Robin Williams as a confused bat. So that's pretty cool.
          If you've seen movies like Pocahontas or Avatar, you should have a pretty good idea on what to expect as far as storytelling goes as it is very similar. Its very pro-environment in its story and messages, whilst thankfully not being too preachy about them, and I personally agree with those messages. This is a very good movie to help teach kids about the environment while still being consistently entertaining. I think it's important for generations of people to learn about preserving nature and not mess with it.
          The animation and the backgrounds are all very beautiful to look at, the songs are all pretty much pleasant, and its heart is in the right place. I did however initially had trouble getting into a lot of the characters at first. Some of them did grow on me as the film progresses, while others didn't really do much for me either because they weren't very interesting or the movie doesn't give them enough screen time for me to truly care. That was the movie's weakest element. Plus, some of the songs didn't quite work for me.
          Besides that though, "FernGully: The Last Rainforest" is a very enjoyable animated movie. I liked it more than I expected. I'm pretty glad I bought the blu-ray of this movie for only $5. I wouldn't say it's amazing, but it's pretty good for what it aims to be.
          I give "FernGully: The Last Rainforest" (1992) directed by Bill Kroyer a 7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment